Our childbirth classes consist of five sessions taught by certified: childbirth educators, infant car seat technicians, and lactation consultants. Classes include: stages of labor, breastfeeding, breathing and relaxation techniques, postpartum/newborn … Continue reading Childbirth Classes: November 29
Provides direct, safe, competent and quality patient care in the Interventional Cardiology & Radiology department (also known as Cath Lab). Supports the medical care of patients requiring various invasive cardiac, peripheral vascular or interventional radiology diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Sustains a high level of patient care by communication with the patients, families, physicians and co-works to address the physical, general and psychosocial needs of the patient.
- Approaches the patient, and families, in a kind, gentle and friendly manner. Communicates in a positive manner and is able to alleviate apprehension through effective pre and post procedure instructions.
- Appropriate communication with physicians, co-workers and other hospital departments to manage and expedite safe and appropriate care of the patient. Provides complete and appropriate hand-off report to the receiving staff post procedure.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Ensures Pre-Op requirements are complete per hospital policy. (H& P present, informed consent signed, appropriate test results available, access site identified and prepared)
- Demonstrates the ability to assess cardiopulmonary and cardiovascular systems pre, intra and post procedure. Is able to recognize, evaluate and record hemodynamics, pressure wave forms and EKG wave forms. Identifies and updates the cardiologist of any adverse physiologic changes during the procedure and is prepared to take appropriate actions in a timely manner.
- Ability to adequately assess and reassess pain. Utilizes appropriate pain management techniques and medications.
- Demonstrates knowledge of cardiac, emergency, anxiolytic, analgesic, anticoagulation, antiplatelet and thrombolytic drugs and IV fluids. Carries out appropriate administration per hospital policy.
- Maintains hemostasis of a vessel post procedure using a compression device or manual compression. Recognizes potential problems associated with access sites and takes appropriate corrective actions if indicated.
- Care and assessment of the patient is clearly documented. Assumes responsibility for the completeness, accuracy and validity of the Medical Record during the time of care until hand off to the receiving unit.
- Adheres to sterile and aseptic techniques and practices in all procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in preparing and cleaning of Cath Lab suites before and between cases.
- Performs set-up and calibration of various equipment in the cath lab. Ensures equipment is properly maintained. Alerts the manager &/or the Biomed department of any equipment malfunction immediately and fills out appropriate work orders.
- Assists cardiologist during procedures by operating ancillary equipment, anticipating and obtaining catheters, wires and other necessary inventory and medications as ordered.
- Assists and collaborates with Pharmacy staff in the maintenance and proper storage of medications.
- Assists and collaborates with the Supply Chain department in the restocking of supplies and assists in notifying the Manager or responsible personnel of shortages.
- Assists with the appropriate maintenance of digital images, department logs and other case information after a procedure.
- If cross-trained, functions as a scrub assistant to the cardiologist. Using the principles of sterile technique, aids in the technical performance of the diagnostic and interventional procedures in the cath lab, or at the bedside for emergent procedures as needed.
- In the absence of the Manager, demonstrates the ability to make decisions to guarantee the appropriate care and safety of the patient.
- Assists with Process Improvement and Quality Improvement activities as assigned. Recognizes occurrences and files the appropriate forms with Risk Management.
- Attends required in-services, education and unit meetings. Maintains an annual 75% attendance record.
- Maintains current BLS and ACLS certifications.
- Takes responsibility to assess own learning needs to enhance personal and professional growth
- Overall commitment to scheduling flexibility, including voluntary time off during low volume schedules and overtime during high volume schedules. Takes Call, as scheduled, and consistently responds within the 30 minute response time.
- Maintains regulatory requirements and complies with all organizational policies.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in the State of Nebraska
- Current BLS certification
- Current ACLS certification, or certification within six months of employment
- 1 year of critical care experience preferred