KRMC Maternity Care Center Receives DHHS Accolade MCC Achieves Safe Sleep Champion Status as Part of DHHS Initiative Kearney, Neb....
- Critical Care
- Endovascular Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Interventional Cardiology
- Interventional Radiology
- Internal Medicine
- Sleep Medicine
Neurology is the branch of medicine concerned with the study and treatment of disorders of the nervous system. The nervous system is a complex, sophisticated system that regulates and coordinates body activities. It has two major divisions:
- Central nervous system: the brain and spinal cord
- Peripheral nervous system: all other neural elements, such as eyes, ears, skin, and other “sensory receptors”
A doctor who specializes in neurology is called a neurologist. The neurologist treats disorders that affect the brain, spinal cord, and nerves, such as:
- Cerebrovascular disease, such as stroke
- Demyelinating diseases of the central nervous system, such as multiple sclerosis
- Headache disorders
- Infections of the brain and peripheral nervous system
- Movement disorders, such as Parkinson’s disease
- Neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- Spinal cord disorders
- Speech and language disorders
Neurologists do not perform surgery. If one of their patients requires surgery, they refer them to a neurosurgeon.
Be the first to read
Andrea Malcom sat in a private room in the neonatal intensive care unit at Kearney Regional Medical Care’s Maternity Care...
The city’s first baby of 2018 came not on Jan. 1, but Jan. 2. Lennuxe Hazel DeTurk, daughter of Jarod...
Barrett Hunt can be forgiven for being unimpressed with recognition as the 100th baby born at Maternity Care Center of Kearney Regional Medical Center.